Sunday, October 18, 2009

1st Marathon - DONE

I ran the Indianapolis Marathon yesterday. The day started out stressful. I bought a new Garmin GPS to keep me from getting lost. I have a horrible sense of direction and it was about time to break down and buy one. The night before the race, Jarrett gave me directions. I listened, but didn't realize there are actually two exits on 465 to 56th street. I got off on the wrong one. Then I was having problems trusting that the Garmin knew where she was going. After I just gave in and followed her directions, I made it to the race. Late. Actually, I sat in traffic waiting to park for almost 45 minutes. After I parked, I could hear the crowd about 3/4 of a mile away cheering. I saw other people making a dash for the start line, so I figured I may get lucky and the race might not have started. Lucky for me, I got to the pack of racers just as the race started.

It was a cold morning. The first half of the race flew by. Before I knew it, I was at Mile 18. That's when things started getting a little rough. I ran most of miles 18-21 then I started to have some stomach issues. 21-26.2 I had to run/walk. My official race time was 4:26:49. Not bad for my first marathon!

I got home yesterday and took a shower and a short nap. My body actually didn't feel terrible. Jarrett took me out to dinner for prime rib (my favorite!). I was starving. I swear I haven't eaten that much food in years. I didn't get the best nights rest because of leg cramps, but now that I'm up and moving, I'm feeling pretty good today.

No comments: