Thursday, December 18, 2008

Goals for 2009

I'm going to break this down into a few categories:

Short Term Goals:
1. Gym - 2 days a week - No excuses
2. Pool - 2 days a week - No excuses
3. Run - 5K's of Christmas this weekend and the 6-miler January 1st. I need a good run.
4. Frosty - 2 days a week, 3 if the weather holds out
5. Find shoes that don't give me wicked blisters. Seriously. I think my feet hate me.

Long Term Goals:
1. Toronto Marathon - October 18, 2009 - I'm one step closer. I have my passport photos and application ready to mail :)
2. Complete 2 half-marathons
3. Swim with confidence at my first triathlon
4. Complete a minimum of one race per month.

Here is my tentative race schedule for 2009:

1. Resolution Revolution - 6 miles - January 1
2. Mini Training Run - 5K - February 7
3. Mini Training Run - 10K - March 7
4. Circle of Life - IU Mini Marathon - 13.1 miles - April 4
5. 500 Mini Marathon - 13.1 miles - May 2
6. Out Run the Sun - June 5
7. Indy Sprint Tri Series - June 20
8. Morse Park Summer Triathlon - June 27
9. Indy Sprint Tri Series - July 18
10. Indianan Downs Triathlon - August 2
11. Tri Indy - August 16
12. Indy Sprint Tri Series - August 22
13. Go Girl Triathlon - September 5
14. TORONTO MARATHON - October 18
15. Drumstick Dash - November 26
16. Jingle Bell Run or 5K's of Christmas - December ??

Yes - This is a very rigorous schedule. I need this. I need to push myself to meet these goals. If I don't have something to train for, I stop training. I need the "next thing" to look forward to. I need to push myself to meeting my next goal. My goals with these events are simple. Finish in a time that I feel good about. I don't like to set speed goals. I feel like I set myself up to fail. Instead, my goal is to go to every race and cross the finish line saying, "I raced the best race I could today."

This schedule is also going to push me to my other goal this year. Leave work at work. Training time is my time. Sorry, I don't take cell phone calls at the gym, in the pool, or at the barn. Period.

No comments: