Saturday, August 7, 2010

Circle the City 10K

Event: Circle the City 10K
Location: Downtown Indy
Date: 8/7/2010

This is my 3rd year running Circle the City. The night before the race Cyndi, Brian, Jarrett and I went to the State Fair and ate WAY too much fair food. It was good but we kind of knew it wasn't the greatest pre-race nutrition plan. We got home late (11 pm) after walking around the fair for about four hours. Luckily it wasn't too hot and I made a point to keep my water bottle full. We were suppose to wake-up at 4:45 am so we could get out the door to pick-up Cyndi by 6 am. Unfortunately, I set my alarm for 4:45 pm. Oops. Luckily Chloe Cat woke me up and we managed to be only a few minutes late getting Cyndi. We got there in plenty of time and but my whole morning routine was thrown off.

The weather was perfect. Mild temps, moderate humidity, slightly overcast. They didn't have any mile markers for mile 1 or mile 2. I hit mile 3 at 26:45 on my watch. I was happy. 8:45-8:55/mile is where I want to be running a 10K right now. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep it. I didn't have my GPS because the battery was dead and a wicked side stitch that started in mile 4 slowed me down. I pushed through the discomfort and kept moving. I finished in 59:46 with a 9:36 minute/mile pace. Last year I finished in 1:04 so I'll take the PR for the race and keep focusing on getting stronger. Ultimately I need to get lighter to run faster. I finished 26 out of 60 in my age group so at least I was in the top half. My friend Lori actually won our age group! She was killing it with 7:20 minute/miles! Jennifer, Cyndi, and Jarrett also had great races. Everyone should have been very pleased. Caryn and Edgar finished the 5K and were very happy with their times, too. It was great to hang out with the old band crowd this morning and then just relax the rest of the day.

Jarrett and I are starting to get the details sorted out for Augusta. I found a hotel in Nashville that will let us have the dogs and we plan to stop for the night before heading the rest of the way to Georgia. Menu planning is under way and I've started my lists so I can get my race stuff organized. I can't believe it's in less then 50 days. My training schedule for the next three weeks is tough and they are going to be a test of my mental toughness as much as my physical toughness.

I'm racing Kokomo 40K TT in the morning. It's the last bike race of the season. I will win the women's division as long as I finish. After that it's the third anniversary of my first Go Girl Triathlon followed by Augusta.

No comments: